SEL and Mental Health Resources for COVID-19
As local, state, national, and international leaders work to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus, many communities across the country are experiencing a heightened level of fear, anxiety, and worry during these uncertain times. Parents, educators, youth development professionals, childcare providers, and others are looking for ways to help young people reduce, manage, and cope with the fears, worries and anxieties that might be provoked by this health crisis and continue to develop the social and emotional skills they will need for managing and coping with future life challenges.
Here is a collection of resources to support these efforts. Check back periodically, as we will be updating the list. If you have resources to suggest, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to Talk to Children about the Coronavirus, Harvard Medical School
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource, National Association of School Psychologists
- Coronavirus Public Health Emergency: Psychological Tips for Children and Adolescents’ Emotions, Department of Human Sciences, University of Verona
- Social-Emotional Learning During COVID 19 Crisis: Equity Lens Reflection, Karen Craddock, PhD
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus, NPR
- Social and Emotional Learning Supports for Children and Young Adults Around Covid-19, SEL4TX
- 5 Ways to Help Children Cope with Coronavirus Anxiety, Education Development Center
- Coronavirus, Online Learning, Social Isolation, and Cyberbullying: How To Support Our Students, Cyberbullying Research Center
- Ethical Considerations: School Counseling in a Virtual Setting, American School Counselors Association
SEL4MA Webinar Archive: SEL and Mental Health Supports for COVID-19
Recording and chat archive from March 27, 2020 webinar that explored what approaches are being taken across the nation and around the Commonwealth to help young people to stay connected, reduce fears and anxieties, and continue to develop social and emotional skills they need for navigating current and future life challenges. It featured peer sharing about what is happening in communities across the state.
SEL4MA District SEL Coordinator Job-Alike Group
Supports peer sharing among people who coordinate SEL activities in Massachusetts school districts. Has been very active in sharing COVID-19-related strategies and resources.
Massachusetts School Districts Mental Health and Well Being Resources during COVID-19
Updates and resources to promote good mental health hygiene during school closure, eventual return and recovery from COVID-19 from the school counseling and social emotional learning departments PK-12 of a number of Massachusetts School Districts.
COVID-19/Coronavirus Resources for School Psychologists, Massachusetts School Psychologists Association (MSPA)
Includes information for school psychologists and parents, including information on tele mental health services.
Call2Talk – Mass 211
Call2Talk is a phone- and text-based mental health, emotional support, and suicide prevention program run by Mass211. It operates 24/7 and provides confidential, compassionate listening to assist people – including those who may be despondent or considering suicide – during stressful times.
Network of Care Massachusetts
This new online resource provides a comprehensive, searchable directory to help Massachusetts residents find information on behavioral health services and treatment in their communities.